Thursday 13 December 2012

'Put some heart into it' Pine Jewellery box


Hi folks, hope you are all well and excited as I am for the forthcoming holidays , Santa's had my wish list and has promised me some new Pastel Spectrum Noirs for Christmas. If he's a smart Bunnie he'll pop over to the Crafters Companion website as they are on offer at the moment any 4 sets of 6 packs for £25 or 2 sets of 24 packs for £35 I'm hoping he'll visit their site but be so impressed by the offer he'll get me all 4 sets of 24!!, I plan to leave my membership number by the PC so he can get even more discount on them. Of course he could just get me a new kettle like last year, if hes feeling really brave!!

Anyway back to today's project which is my little pine jewellery box ,



When we were on a break visiting family last week we popped into a little garden centre just outside Gt Yarmouth in Norfolk , It was full of the usual garden paraphernalia and Christmas decorations but tucked in a corner was a shelf full of little pine boxes , While Santa hubby wasn't looking, several of this items (pine chests, boxes and birdhouses) fell accidentally into my trolley as each item was only a few pounds each they slid 'under the wire' through the tills and travelled home with us....

Here's my first project and how it was made

Heart Shaped Jewellery Box
 you will need ....

A plain pine chest
White Acrylic Paint
White Tissue paper
Tim Holt's Aged mahogany ink pad
Tim Holt's fired brick ink pad
black versamark ink pad
Clear embossing powder
Gold mica powder
Mini Stamps
Paper roses and flowers
Gold card candies
Paper butterflies


Step 1
 Take a plain pine chest and cover it with strips of  tissue paper and watered down PVA glue , cover the entire front and sides of chest . when it is dry coat the box with watered down pva again and leave to dry again. This makes painting and stamping easier. Paint your chest white. If you have any lumpy bits of paper you can always sand these off gently with some fine sandpaper before painting.  Paint inside and out and leave to dry.
when this has completely dried, rub over the chest with your Tim Holts Red Fired Brick distressing ink

Step 2
 Take your now red-pinky-white base chest and dab with gold mica paint, I like to use  crumpled up cling film to dab mine on with as it gives a subtle but great effect

Step 3
when your gold mica paint has dried, go stamp crazy with your mini stamps. I used a set I found in a bargain bucket for 10p , they have a Paris theme which I really liked. I stamped mine with a Tim Holt's Aged Mahogany ink pad and black versa mark and then embossed over the top with clear embossing powder and a heat gun to seal the prints, be careful not to over heat your project as the paper may lift or even burn so take a little care when embossing !!



Step 4
Add some gold card candies onto the front of your box and punch out a couple of gold hearts for the drawer knobs, add some paper flowers and butterflies to finish

My butterflies had been made in advance they were made from black card that had been stamped with a clear versa mark and then heat embossed with seasalt white embossing powder and then punched out using a Martha Stewart butterfly punch . Then they were embossed with clear thick embossing powder to give them more of an enamelled look . I added some lilac gems down the middle of each for the bodies.. Now I just have to decide who's going to find it under their Christmas tree this year , maybe I'll keep this one for me..

I hope this has inspired you to try a project of your own , good luck and thanks for popping over to visit my blog .

 Click on highlighted items to find where you can purchase them and please feel free to leave comments, I love to know if you like what I'm doing or not!!
 I would like to enter my Jewellery Box in the following challenges 

5 comments:

  1. I am gobsmacked again. Fabulous !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful how very creative.

    Wilma x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow tracey just gorgeous, love what you have done with this love the colors. Thank you for joining us at Creative Moments this fortnight. Abbie (Co Owner) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love the shabby chic look of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracey, I LOVE this! I love all manner of decoupage anyway, and this, with all its pink and images and texture and BLING is right up my alley. I have a tiny birdhouse that I'm inspired to work with, and you've given me the impetus to get started. Fabulous work of art!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read all feedback and totally appreciate you taking to the time to leave comments , Thank you xx